Evaluation and Licensing
GemBox.Imaging works in two different modes:
- Free mode - free of charge, limited to 2 megapixels (equivalent of 1920x1080) images and count of 3 images per application runtime.
- Trial mode - free of charge, limited to 2 megapixels (equivalent of 1920x1080) images and count of 3 images per application runtime. Watermark will be added if the image passes those limitations.
- Professional mode - requires purchasing a license key, no limitations.
All modes use the same GemBox.Imaging DLL so there is no need to reinstall the component when switching modes.
The first thing to do when coding with GemBox.Imaging is to instruct the component in which mode it will be used. This is accomplished by calling ComponentInfo.SetLicense(String) method with the specific license key parameter:
- FREE-LIMITED-KEY, to use the component in Free mode.
- The temporary license key that you received after sending us a request for Time Limited mode.
- The professional license key that you receive after purchasing GemBox.Imaging, to use the component in Professional mode.
ComponentInfo.SetLicense method must be called before using any other class from GemBox.Imaging component.
ComponentInfo.SetLicense method can be called multiple times. What is important is that it is called with the same license key. Ideally, it should be called at the startup of your application. For example, it can be called in the Main method, an application startup event, or a static constructor of your main class.
Free mode delivers the same performance and set of features as Professional mode, with limitations. These limitations will occur either when you load image more than 2 megapixels or load more than 3 images per runtime. In those cases one of the following will happen:
- FreeLimitReachedException will be thrown if you don't handle ComponentInfo.FreeLimitReached event, or handle and set the FreeLimitEventArgs.FreeLimitReachedAction to FreeLimitReachedAction.ThrowException.
- Image will not be loaded/saved if you handle ComponentInfo.FreeLimitReached event and set the FreeLimitEventArgs.FreeLimitReachedAction to FreeLimitReachedAction.Stop.
- Image will be saved with a watermark if you handle ComponentInfo.FreeLimitReached event and set the FreeLimitEventArgs.FreeLimitReachedAction to FreeLimitReachedAction.ContinueAsTrial.
If you have evaluated the component and are satisfied with it, you can purchase the license key to use the component in the Professional mode - without any limitations.
After purchase, the only thing you need to do is to replace FREE-LIMITED-KEY with your purchased license key in ComponentInfo.SetLicense(String) method call.
There is no other installer or DLL for the Professional mode. You should continue to use the reference to the existing GemBox.Imaging DLL in your project when switching to Professional mode.
The Professional mode also includes technical support with prompt bug fixes. For more information, see Technical Support.