Microsoft Office Interop Word in C# and VB.NET
Microsoft Office Interop Word is an option when creating/reading Word files (DOC, DOCX, RTF) from C# or VB.NET application, but it has many drawbacks.
Issues when using Microsoft Office Interop Word from C# or VB.NET are:
- Requires a license for Microsoft Office on every client machine.
- Requires that all client machines have the same version of Microsoft Word installed.
- When using Interop, Microsoft Word is loaded in the background, taking computer resources and loading a large number of files and DLLs.
- Microsoft Office applications (including Word) were designed as UI applications and because of that API is very slow. Generating a simple document with 30 paragraphs takes 10.2 seconds on our test machine.
- Microsoft doesn’t recommend using Word or any Office Interop on the server: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/257757
GemBox.Document is one of the best alternatives to Microsoft Office Interop Word.
GemBox.Document Free is free of charge while GemBox.Document Professional is a commercial version licensed per developer.